- Closing Date: N/A
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College, University
Job title: Farm Underwriter – Level 2
Job location: Remote
Who we are:
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group is not just another insurance company; we are a P&C Mutual company with solid grass roots within our community. We’re proud to be a leader within the P&C industry offering a Mutual experience rich with history, opportunity and exceptional customer service. We are committed to profitable growth, team development, ingenuity, build on strong connections in our remote first work environment. We encourage a work-life balance and we are serious about what we do.
Our promise to you:
Here at The Commonwell, we are all about Protecting Individuals, Together! Our vision is to continue to build an environment that develops and attracts the very best by empowering everyone to foster a workplace where everyone can perform at their very best, be their authentic self and bring their whole self to work.
The purpose of this position is to review, analyze, and evaluate farm and residential property business and renewals to determine risk level by using different methods of investigation. Working within a team environment, the incumbent will provide calculations for policies, inspection assignments, and support to our broker and agent force. The incumbent must evaluate policies based on acceptability of risk with a focus of reducing claim exposure while promoting new business and retention for the company. The incumbent is looked upon as a technical expert in their field and is able to provide a high level of guidance and mentorship to internal staff and external broker and agent partners.
Who you are:
• You will be highly Organized and have excellent Time Management skills
• You will demonstrate excellent Written and Verbal Communication Skills
• You are great at Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking
• You will be Adaptable and open to changing environments
• You value and encourage others to have cooperative and collaborative conversations because diverse perspectives offer more creative solutions
How you will create an impact:
• Supports, where required, the Claims Department on policy wording interpretation and application thereof.
• Accountable for underwriting at all transaction levels including, New Business and Quote request submissions, renewals, endorsements and inspection evaluations.
• Reviews large losses and claims risks alerts and takes action, where necessary. Receives support, where required, in managing complex alerts.
• Supports, where required, the review of existing and proposed product changes.
• Embrace and deliver an effective implementation of a continuous improvement environment, drive performance and provide exceptional member experience.
What you will bring:
• Completion of Post-Secondary Education.
• 3 years’ relevant experience.
• Successful completion, or pursuing industry related designations is an asset.
• Great organizational skills and ability to multi task is required.
• Thorough attention to detail is a must to ensure accuracy of policy documents.
• Ability to perform moderate mathematical calculations is required.
• Effective communication skills: verbal, non-verbal and written.
• Sound morals, ethic and confidentiality with ability to develop trusting and effective working relationships with peers, employees and business partners.
• Strong computer literacy, proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs and Internet navigation.
• Expert knowledge of residential Heating, Electrical, Roofing and Plumbing as well as the relevant replacement cost tools in the market place.
• Expert knowledge of underwriting all Farm and Residential classes of business.
• Working knowledge of all classes of Farm insurance, requiring some support, if necessary, to underwrite farm risks with agri-entertainment.
• Working knowledge of Commercial General Liability and commercial property risk management, specifically commercial exposures as it relates to farm insurance, requiring some support, if necessary, to underwrite farm risks with agri-entertainment.
• Working knowledge in reading and interpreting all policy wordings relevant to residential and farm insurance. Requires some support in underwriting complex files with agri-commercial business, XS and Umbrella Liability.
• A working knowledge of reinsurance products available and the necessary process for cession as well as all restrictions of reinsurance treaty.
• Capability to partner, where necessary, the inception and/or renewal of subscription policies as a lead or follower subscriber.
• Working knowledge of relevant regulations, including the Insurance Act and applicable building codes.
• Understanding of current precedent cases on the wording interpretation and potential impacts to exposures assumed and the ability to share this with the other underwriters and claims employees.
• Work knowledge in the understanding of the underwriting results and the ability to take the required corrective action as necessary.
• Efficiency in the use of the policy administration system for all policy transactions and solid understanding of coverage structure, rate and rule operation.
• Working knowledge of the broker distribution channel, the various tools utilized by the broker and the process interaction between insurer and broker.
• Working knowledge of the broker and agent distribution channel, the various tools utilized by the broker and agent and the process interaction between the three parties.
JOIN THE #Commonwell Crew! We saved you a spot!
Perks & Benefits
- Health insurance coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Dental care insurance coverage
- Vision care insurance coverage
- Performance bonuses
- Retirement benefit plans
- Medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans
- Short term disability insurance
- Long term disability insurance
- Advantageous pension plan
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Matching retirement contributions
- Paid holidays
- Competitive wages
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement or payment for seminars and classes
- Professional association meeting, conference or seminar expense
- Training opportunities
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Wellness programs
- Employee referral bonus
- Paid volunteer days a year
- Service recognition program
- Discounts on company products and services
- Flexible work hours
- 5 Day work weeks
- Flexible work environment