Leader, Personal Lines Underwriting
- Closing Date: Oct 24, 2019
- Rate of Pay: Salary
- Positions Available: 1
- Type: Full Time
- Duration: Permanent
- Avg. Hours/Week: 35
- Schedule: Days
- Education: College, University
The successful candidate will be involved in the day to day operations across the Automobile & Residential lines of business, ensuring effective and timely processing of new, endorsement and renewal business.
Leading a team of underwriters and support employees, the Leader, Personal Lines, leads the development of employees, identifies and implements opportunities for efficiencies and manages the transaction service levels of the underwriting department.
The incumbent is looked upon as both a technical expert in their field as well as exhibits leadership capabilities to provide guidance and mentorship to internal staff and external broker and agent partners.
What you will do:
Develop and manage process efficiencies across all lines of business and transactions.
- Develop, co-ordinate and conduct the appropriate technical training for underwriting employees and support the development of such training for our distribution force.
- Assist with the development, implementation and communication of corporate goals and objectives to support the business plan.
- Support the development of the underwriting department budget and monitor expenses to compared to the forecasted amounts to control costs within the region.
- Accountable for timely reporting to regulatory and industry partners.
- Large loss reviews and claims risks alerts to management.
- Support the review of existing and proposed product changes.
- Implement and support policies, guidelines, and procedures as established and/or in partnership with the Underwriting Manager.
- Partner and lead underwriting team meetings to review, research, discuss technical issues and gather feedback on suggestions/recommendations for new products, rates and procedures.
Tools / Technologies:
Post Secondary Education and completion of CIP.
- FCIP designation considered an asset.
- A minimum of 10 years experience with P&C insurance.
- Prior Leadership experience would be an asset.
- Effective communication skills; verbal, non-verbal and written; and ability to communicate on all levels of the organization; presentation skills.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills are essential.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Good project management skills and the ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight deadlines.
- Sound morals, ethics and confidentiality with ability to develop trusting and effective working relationships with peers and employees.
- Ability to identify developmental needs of employees and provide coaching, mentoring, and assistance in goals.
- Strong computer literacy, proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs and Internet navigation.
Perks & Benefits
- Life insurance coverage
- Dental care insurance coverage
- Vision care insurance coverage
- Performance bonuses
- Medical, prescription, dental, and vision plans
- Short term disability insurance
- Long term disability insurance
- Advantageous pension plan
- Paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement or payment for seminars and classes
- Professional association meeting, conference or seminar expense
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Wellness programs
- Paid volunteer days a year
- Free parking (car or bicycle)
- 5 Day work weeks